Los Angeles—Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP Partner Anthony Pacheco hosted a delegation of officials from Japan on July 31, 2017. In response to important Japanese legislation and policy objectives, the delegation has been studying techniques to reduce recidivism rates among criminal offenders, including drug offenders.
The Japanese Ministry of Justice has been evaluating how to reduce recidivism rates, and the delegation was interested to see how the American justice system and jails address repeat offenders and other important issues relating to the incarceration of inmates.
In cooperation with the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department and the Los Angeles Police Department, Pacheco, who is the Chair of JMBM’s Corporate Defense and Investigations Group, coordinated the delegation’s tour of numerous detention facilities in the Los Angeles region. The delegation met with local officials to discuss all aspects of the American criminal justice system.
Members of the Japanese delegation included:
- Mr. Koichi Yamamoto, Director of the Rehabilitation Support Office, General Affairs Division, Correction Bureau, Ministry of Justice.
- Ms. Kiyoko Nishioka, Coordinator of Juvenile Treatment Division, Correction Bureau, Ministry of Justice.
- Ms. Natsumi Okamura, Inspector, General Affairs Division, Correction Bureau, Ministry of Justice.
- Ms. Akiko Domoto, Former Governor of Chiba Prefecture and President, Women and Health Network Japan.
- Ms. Atsuko Muraki, Former Vice-Minister, Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, and Guest Professor, College of Policy Studies, Tsuda University.
- Ms. Miho Akada, Former Senior Government Official for Law, Ministry of Justice.
About JMBM’s Corporate Defense and Investigations Group
JMBM’s Corporate Defense Group is keenly focused on our clients’ business objectives and is committed to minimizing the disruptive effects, anxiety and the intense public scrutiny that can arise from criminal and civil litigation. The Corporate Defense Group is a leader in the representation of corporations, boards of directors, management and individuals in connection with a broad range of government investigations, enforcement actions, remediation and compliance, administrative proceedings, internal investigations and white collar criminal investigations and litigation.