LOS ANGELES—Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP (JMBM) announced today that its capabilities in cybersecurity law practice – including privacy, data management and security, and data breach representation – have been formalized into an interdisciplinary law practice group. JMBM’s Cybersecurity and Privacy Group will be led by attorneys Michael A. Gold and Robert Braun.
“Cybersecurity and privacy issues are critically important to our client companies,” said Michael Gold. “Data breaches and privacy missteps can lead to costly, unanticipated expenses and business disruptions, as well as regulatory enforcement actions and class-action lawsuits.” Gold is the author of Cyber Risk and the Board of Directors – Closing the Gap, published by the Bloomberg BNA Corporate Governance Report and was named one of the Most Influential Lawyers in Digital Media and E-Commerce Law by the Los Angeles Business Journal.
JMBM’s Cybersecurity and Privacy Group’s lawyers help businesses to:
- Respond to data breaches, including selecting appropriate technology and forensics experts
- Develop and implement data breach response plans and procedures, and related privacy, information security, and data retention policies and procedures
- Address a host of statutory and regulatory issues, including Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act and Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Develop effective solutions for protecting and managing information assets and complying with legal requirements
- Advise clients on international privacy laws and rules on their businesses, including the U.S.–E.U. Safe Harbor Program
- Address legal challenges posed by the proliferation of social media and mobile applications
- Negotiate agreements for technologies and services to implement information management systems
- Deploy and protect new information technologies
- Conduct internal investigations, particularly those involving sensitive electronically stored information
- Avoid, address and mitigate state and federal regulatory enforcement actions
- Conduct complex litigation and arbitrations, including class action defense actions connected with data breach and privacy claims
- Assist companies in developing appropriate governance tools for boards of directors and executive management to address cyber risk
“We help companies to protect their essential business information, as well as the privacy of their customers and employees,” said Robert Braun. “When a breach occurs, we respond quickly with a comprehensive plan that is protected under attorney-client privilege.” Braun is on the Advisory Board of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Information Systems Security Association and is the author of The Target and Neiman Marcus Breaches: What Hoteliers Need to Know, published by the Hotel Law Blog.
Cybersecurity issues affect a full range of industries, and JMBM advises mobile application developers, public cloud providers, consumer lenders, national retailers, managed health care companies and online retailers, among other sectors.
About JMBM’s Cybersecurity and Privacy Group
JMBM’s Cybersecurity and Privacy Group provides businesses with comprehensive legal counsel in all relevant areas of data security and privacy, including information technology and technology transactions; financial, health, employment and personal privacy; and litigation. Our expertise allows us to interface effectively with both the C-Suite and information technology managers at both a strategic and granular level.
For more than 30 years, Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP has provided clients with results—successfully resolving cases, closing deals, protecting assets, and adding value. From our offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Orange County, we serve our clients’ needs worldwide. See www.JMBM.com.